Mirror, Mirror

Oh my word. What have I done?

A simple trim plus fringe ended up as a full-onΒ Chrissie Hynde.

Cool Chrissie.
Cool-ass Chrissie. I’m not this cool. Photograph: Dean Chalkley

Not that there is anything wrong with that hairstyle, it’s totally cool, just not for someone too lazy to “do” their hair every day who spent three years growing out their layers to once more have all one length shiny manageable hair. Whoa. Long sentence there.

Now you’re probably feeling sorry for me and shaking your head about renegade hair stylists that just massacre innocent customers’ hair. That was not the case here. No. I went in and ASKED for this. Me. No one else. My hairdresser is great, she can copy a picture (I always have pictures) to a tee. That is what she did.

When I made the appointment it was for a micro fringe (I like me some short bangs) and a trim. The night before I suddenly had some wild aspirations about no longer being such a “plain Jane”. What was I thinking!? The week before I remember exclaiming to the world at large how much I was enjoying having longer one length hair partial to braids and other “it” do’s (think Faux-hawk) in current hair fashion circulation.

Hair

It’s been 10 days. I’m still distraught. I never knew I was this shallow.

Written in response to the Daily Post’s promt “Mirror, Mirror“.

Illustration by me.

Advertisements

40 responses to Mirror, Mirror

1. Arti Tyagi says:

Hey your hair still look good and who knows, may be you’ll ‘learn to do’ your hair cuz of this! A blessing in disguise! πŸ˜› And did I mention that I love that animation picture!

2. sacha says:

Is ok!!!!! I tried to do my own eyebrows and that was a super disaster lol so I know how you feel

• I don’t think it ever goes! I will have an idea in mind for MONTHS and then I will sit in the chair and be like, cut it all off!! Put in a full fringe!!!
        I ALWAYS walk out of there looking 10 years younger. Normally, that’s a good thing ‘cept I’m 25 and looking 15 ain’t good, the looks I get for having a 3 year old call me Mummy… Just, no.

• Kyly Sheldon says:

Ah… To be 25 again. I wouldn’t be so upset right now if I didn’t like feel my youth was running out. Grey hair with braids (when I have hair again)….not so sure about that one πŸ˜‰

Liked by 1 person

• Kyly Sheldon says:

Well I like me some braids, I was almost getting to my faux-halk. Short term memory loss, that MUST be the cause of my lunacy.

Liked by 1 person

• Kyly Sheldon says:

I spelled that incorrectly – should be faux-haWk, lol.
        It’s this magical hairstyle which looks like a mohawk, only a lot more tame and pretty, but you don’t cut your hair but rather french braid it/make lots of buns/pin it up to make the bit that sticks out. Boy this description is killing the idea I’m trying to portray. This https://www.pinterest.com/pin/463307880389280383/

Liked by 1 person

• Kyly Sheldon says:

That image ALONE was why I was growing my hair. I’m such a prize idiot. Oh Pinterest how I love thee ❀

3. sarahbruso says:

I’ve never gotten too attached to my hair, but I have had haircuts that I ended up hating. Though, I don’t think I was as heartbroken as you are now. I hope you’re able to find a way to turn a bad do into something awesome!

4. Akosua B. Mensah says:

I’ve enjoyed reading your post. The cartoon is a hit!! you had me laughing so hard. ‘I hate butterfly clips’ too. x-D

• Kyly Sheldon says:

Ha ha! Wonderful! There has to be something out there that works as well as a butterfly clip but isn’t a butterfly clip. Someone! Invent this!

Liked by 1 person

5. Joey Zompaws says:

Butterfly clips are hideous aren’t they? I’m currently having a hair dilemam, but yet to commit to cutting it! At least it grows back, you can only keep that mantra up.

• Kyly Sheldon says:

They are the worst. Yes, it grows back, but it feels like an eon when you’ve made a mistake (and are VERY impatient to start with) πŸ˜›

6. Charlotte Latvala says:

Hi Kyly — Chrissie is cool, right? Who wouldn’t want to look like her, and who doesn’t feel the pain of the wrong haircut? Enjoyed visiting your blog!

7. memeethemuse says:

Oh no! I want to say I’m sorry, but as you said, it’s not my fault, you asked for it. I hope you find a way to work with what you’ve got until it grows out again. I feel your pain, I really do! I imagine we’ve all walked out of a hair salon with regrets at one time or another (although usually it is the regret that we chose that particular salon/person to do the work for us.). I hope you didn’t let your beautician see you cry. Obviously, you like and respect her very much.

Good luck!

• Kyly Sheldon says:

My hairdresser has no idea I’m unhappy – I left smiling because I liked my hair. For about 2 hours. I really like her and will continue to use her because she is great at her job ;).

Liked by 1 person